Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Scale does NOT Measure Progress

One topic that seems to come up OVER and over and over and OVER again with my challengers is...the SCALE. That number that some of you feel DEFINES you. But, here's the thing. If you start a new workout program...you are going to gain muscle

Muscle speeds your metabolism and makes your body burn fat more efficiently...AND muscle is smaller yet weighs more than fat...so your body will get smaller and leaner, but the scale may stay the same...or sometimes go up.

I've had to really reprogram my brain within the last 2 1/2 years as a coach. I used to weigh myself often, and I even had times where I'd weigh myself and let the number on the scale determine my attitude for the day. This sounds so silly, but I KNOW I'm not the only one because I have many challengers who feel the same. 

This is why I ask my challengers to HIDE the scale and measure their progress on:


-How they FEEL
-The way their clothes fit
-Their measurements 
These are REAL indicators of progress


The SCALE measures:

 -Water fluctuation from hormones (water retention/bloating)
-Overdoing your sodium intake, not drinking enough water (and again...water retention/bloating)
-Gaining lean muscle mass which is ultimately changing your body for the better. 

So, ignore it.  



This is week THREE of BODY BEAST, and I am the exact SAME weight I started at after indulging through the holidays, YET my body is looking completely different. I am trusting the process, following the plan, and not looking to the scale for the "reassurance" I used to feel I needed--I encourage YOU to do the same. <3

No comments :

Post a Comment

CONTACT