Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Top 4 Tips: How to Start Eating Healthy - Where Do I Start?

So, you'd love to eat healthy...or, "eat clean"...but, what does that even MEAN?  It can be a little overwhelming when you feel like there is SO much to learn, and the internet is full of conflicting info, right?

I remember feeling the same way!  But, it's really pretty simple.  So, I want to help <3  I've come up with my Top 4 Tips:  How to Start Eating Healthy and Clean.



I have to note:  I am NOT a nutritionist.  Anything you read within this blog has either been researched, something I've learned from experience, and/or it comes from the 21 Day Fix program. 

I have been a health and fitness accountability coach for over 4yrs.  I've followed multiple fitness programs with different nutrition plans, I've gone Paleo, Vegan, you name it.  And, I've helped hundreds (if not thousands) of women lose weight on the same programs and nutrition plans I have.  


Oh, and my mom was a fitness competitor when I was growing up, so I grew up around healthy foods and learned how to read a nutrition label when I was about 13yrs old. ;)


Speaking of Nutrition Labels...that's our FIRST Tip! :)

1.  LEARN THE BASICS OF HOW TO READ A NUTRITION LABEL:



2.  STICK TO WHOLE, CLEAN FOODS - (aka- ANYTHING THAT COMES FROM THE EARTH):



  • 50% Vegetables and Fruits - They contain a ton of nutrients and fiber that will fill you up and keep your body happy and functioning at its best.  If you are NOT a "veggie person" and this percentage scares you...you really need to check out Shakeology (140-160 calories and includes the same amount of nutrients as 5 salads worth of veggies - it's my saving grace!).
  • 40% Protein and Healthy Fats - Proteins like lean cuts of chicken, turkey, beef, beans, and eggs, along with Healthy Fats like avocado, nuts, seeds, and coconut oil are some of my daily go-to's.
  • 10-20% Grains / Starches - Depending on whether or not you're an active person.  My daily staples are whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, quinoa, and sweet potatoes.
  • Once per Week "Treat Meal":  I don't like to put Processed Foods in the "Whole Foods" or "Clean Foods" categories.  I choose to limit processed foods because they are not healthy.  HOWEVER, I will place them in the "Treat Meal" category.  I think it's important (and realistic) to allow ourselves a treat each week whether it be a small portion of a restaurant meal that you love that isn't on your nutrition plan, a dessert, or a glass of wine or two.  If your GOAL is weight loss...make this a SMALL treat - don't cheat yourself.  If maintaining is your goal, you have a little more wiggle room.

3.  FIND A NUTRITION PLAN THAT SIMPLIFIES ALL OF IT  

It's ok if you're not a "calculate my food percentages" type of person.  Neither am I! :p  For my challengers within my online health and fitness accountability groups, I use a simple color container food system.  I give my challengers a list of "allowed foods" per each container, and based on their starting point and what goals they want to reach, we figure out how many of each container (each food group) they need to eat per day in order to get the best results.  This is so much easier than worrying about percentages and counting calories - so, if those things confuse you...this will help!


4.  WHEN GROCERY SHOPPING, SHOP THE PERIMETER OF THE STORE

When I go grocery shopping, #1- I eat first (NEVER go HUNGRY!!  You will buy horrible things! lol) and #2- I shop the perimeter of the store first.

  • Produce Section:  First, I grab my fruits, veggies, raw almonds/cashews/seeds.  I also grab organic, refrigerated salad dressing.  Yogurt based dressing are usually in the produce section.
  • Meat and Seafood:  Next, I choose my lean proteins for the week.
  • Dairy section:  Some people who are trying to lose weight stay away from daily - especially cheese since it's high in saturated fat.  It's a personal decision.  Eggs are always a must in our house, milk and yogurt for the kids.
  • Frozen section:  More veggies, Ezekial (sprout) bread.
  • THEN, I venture into the middle of the store for whole grain bread/pasta, brown rice, quinoa, all natural peanut butter, oils, spices, etc.
  • Anything else in the middle of the store is usually processed and comes in a box or a bag usually has artificial ingredients, chemicals, and tons of sugar.  Save yourself the temptation!
Ok everyone!  Those are my Top 4 Tips on WHERE and HOW to start eating clean and healthy!  I hope this helped you!

If you have any questions or anything else you'd like me to blog about, please "like" this blog post AND leave a comment below!  I'd love your feedback, and I'd be happy to blog about anything that will help you on your journey! <3  CLICK HERE if you'd like more ACCOUNTABILITY in your Health and Fitness Journey <3

xo - Lindsey



No comments :

Post a Comment

CONTACT